Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Week One 30 in 30

So, this was my first week of the 30 new things in 30 days. I have done pretty well, they might not all have been successes but it was the effort that counts... right?...

Day 2

Recipe: White Turkey Chili

Ingredients
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 tsp. toasted ground cumin
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
  • 1 lb. Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled and diced
  • 4 to 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, warmed
  • 1 lb. diced cooked turkey
  • 4 1/2 cups cooked white beans, drained
  • 2 Tbs. minced fresh oregano
  • 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • Shredded jack cheese, sour cream and lime wedges for serving

Directions:
 
First, In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the cumin, garlic and jalapeños and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the chilies and 3 1/2 cups of the broth, then transfer to a slow cooker. Stir in the turkey, beans, oregano and cilantro. Next you will put the cornmeal in a small bowl and slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of the broth. Stir the cornmeal mixture into the turkey mixture. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Thin the chili with more broth if needed. Lastly you ladle the chili into warmed bowls. Serve with cheese, sour cream and lime wedges. I divvied up the left overs and froze it for future meals. It made about 6 bowls.

It was pretty good, I thought it would be spicier. I liked it with crackers spread lightly with olive oil mayo.

Day 3

Lunch Meal: Lean Cuisine Honestly Good Pomegranate Chicken

 
This was quite tasty I must say. One of the best microwave dinners I have had.
 
 
Day 4
 
New Purchase: Watch
 
Target kinda messed on with their mobile coupons, and forgot the wording, "Equal or lesser value" so instead of fixing it, they decided to let everyone buy an accessory and get any one under $60 for free. I was responsible and bought a $12 watch getting this one for $50 for free, but a whole bunch of people bought $2 earrings and received $59 watches for free. crazy!

 
 
Day 5
 
Make-Up: Jedi Princess
 
I volunteered with Project Hero at the Phoenix Public Library on Saturday. I wore the same costume from San Diego Comic Con, but tried out a new make-up. I loved it. Its hard to see, but the pink on the bottom of my eyes was outlines and blended in a purple and the sprays coming out of each side hos a blue dot that matched my costume. When I left the house I was a Jedi, but after being told I was a pretty princess, it became so haha!
 
 
Day 5 Part 2
 
Beverage: Pumpkin Porter
For a second item, I went to lunch with my friends Jackie and Garrick and they took me to have breakfast and beers.  It was Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter on top and it was pretty nice. I still think I like my snake bites the best. Was fantasizing about this mixed with Woodchucks Fall Cider. I bet it would be delicious.
 
 Day 6

Costume Creation: EggShoes

What I thought would be simple egg shaped slippers for Breakfast Princess, became the bane of day. Not so simple to get nice smooth rounded stuffed slippers. Let's just say I called it quits for a Round 2 on Tuesday.
(They look like Smurf shoes, don't they lol - and they failed on Tuesday aswell)


 
 
 
 
Day 7
 
Book: Herbs and Spices
 
I want to grow and Herb garden in the spring, so I think think I will start reading up now.
 
 
 
Day 8
 
Exercise: Ball Bridges
 
I have been going to Physical Therapy for the past month because in August I thought I pulled a lower back muscle but turns out I dislocated my sacroiliac joint, and tweaked my back - woohoo I don't have pictures but I have a wonderful new workout that killed me. I lay on my back with my legs on an exercise ball, while balancing I bridge my back up, squeezing my glutes. It really strains my lower back if I don't do it properly, so I continue to chant Butt, Butt, butt, the entire time. After my set of 20, and I am ready for child's pose.
 
 
Day 9
 
Snack: Yoplait Greek Tropical Fruit Yoghurt
 


This is pretty good. I am surprised because every Greek yoghurt I have tried so far has been to bitter for me. I like this one and it was pretty goo on the nutritional side as well with only 9 grams of sugar. Some of the others have 20+ yikes!
 
So that is all for now and I will post more soon...
If there is anything new you think I should try, let me know!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment